Thursday, May 07, 2009

Interview with Cooji Katrak

Awesome twosome: Champion trainer Cooji Katrak (left) receiving trophy from another champion, Dr Cyrus S Poonawalla, chairman, RWITC, whose Poonawalla stud farm emerged as leading breeders for the just concluded Mahalaxmi racing season (Pic: RS Gupta)


Like most racing folks, Cooji Katrak—some used to call him 'cagey' Katrak—was a mystery to me too. Until a couple of years ago, all I knew about him was hearsay--nothing first-hand. 

So when I went to meet him for this interview, I was severely shocked to fiind a very mild-mannered--almost shy and timid--man, who was ill at ease for stepping into the limelight as the new champion, and made no effort to hide the discomfort.

But once the questions started rolling in, he turned into an interviewer's delight. Here are excerpts from the interview:

When did you decide to become horse trainer? 

I know this is going to sound a bit strange, but I decided to become a horse trainer when I was a kid. I was studying in fifth standard at the Cathedral & John Connon school in Fort, Bombay, and I was so obsessed with horses, I used to rush back from school, quickly wash up and change before my uncle, who was a horse trainer, left for the stables in the evening. 

Oh, you already had a trainer in the family? 

Dara Pandole was my maternal uncle. He was a renowned trainer. In fact, horses and racing have been a family obsession. My other uncle, N E D Pandole, owned some fine horses which were trained by Rashid Byramji. I was myself an amateur rider and had won a race during the Gymkhana meeting. 

So you joined Dara Pandole as an assistant? 

Yes, but I put in just about a year as official assistant before taking up licence in 1977, because I had always been associated with horses and learning all the time from my uncle and his peers. 

Who were your first owners?

(smiles) When I began, I had only two owners and 6 horses. Mr Pallon Shroff, father of the twins—Dinshaw & Munchi—was my first owner; the other was Mr P B Mody. 

Your first winner...? 

My first winner was Mr Mody’s Mihir.  And I finished my first season with 3 winners. 

Two owners, six horses and three winners, and what’s the equation today? 

(laughs) Oh, now I have 20 owners & 80 horses—but of course that includes unraced babies too. And you know I had 35 winners this season. 

This season turned out to be just great for you… 

True. I started with a bang. I had a quadruple on the second day itself, and then never looked back. No doubt I worked very hard, but you know in this business you have to also be lucky for the hard work to pay off consistently. 

And you were crowned the champion trainer… 

I think championship just happened along the way—it was never my goal, and surely not my focus. But I am happy to have won the trophy, and I am happier I won it in a season during which my owners picked up more than Rs two crore in stakes money alone. We won five or six "million" races, two grade 1 races and a couple of grade 2 races too. God was kind to me, I couldn’t have asked for more. You know some events in life bring in a special kind of joy, like winning your first Indian Classic—winning championship is something akin to that. Coincidentally, I won my first Indian Classic, the 2000 Guineas, with Vesuvius owned by Dr Cyrus Poonawalla, and it was he who gave me the championship trophy the other day. 

What’s your training secret? 

Hard work, coupled with minute attention to every single individual horse. Every horse is a different riddle. You have to design different work program—even different feed. And yes, I take my babies very seriously. I believe in giving them a feel of the grass under their feet, not just work on sand. They mature better that way, I strongly believe.

Would you like to talk about the rough period in your profession when you faced suspension? You have never publicly talked about it, never explained

I believe explanation is pointless—because your friends don’t need it, and your enemies don’t believe it. I don’t want to talk about it even now, except stating a fact that I was framed. I got my licence back only after the court vindicated me. 

Would you recommend the trainer’s profession to anyone? 

Not if the person doesn’t love horses! You must be madly in love with horses—that’s the first condition. And you also must be willing to work hard, real hard. It’s a hard life and a tough career. It is another matter that if you really love them, it doesn’t feel like hard work—because then it’s labour of love. 

22 comments:

  1. Very good piece, Prakash. I am happy you did it because there was nothing in the papers after such a wonderful racing season. I suggest you do an interview of Nikhil Parmar too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent interview master
    thank you

    original fanofmaster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said cooji
    well written gosavi
    & congrats for an excellent site.
    Manav

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised at Gosavi's sudden love for Malesh and Cooji. Now next to feature will by Dhunjibhoy. Anyone wanna bet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous,

    A top jockey suing the bible of racing is big news. You should be surprised why it is not featured as news elsewhere on the web and in fact question THEM.

    Similarly, scoring championship at Mahalaxmi, the Mecca of Indian racing, is also a news worthy of follow up. Hence Katrak's interview.

    A blog is like a web extension of a personal diary, so it is expected to feature current news, developments and thoughts about the racing world. If you just glance at the topic list of my blog, you can see I have always tried to do that whether it was news or the current day's racing.

    As regards Dhunjibhoy being next in line, if he features in some big racing news tomorrow, of course why not? But as of now, chances of that happening are the same as May rain in Mumbai, so take my advice and don't accept the bet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gawd! gosavi u know how to put trouble makers in place. no wonder the riff raff is steering clear of ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am addicted to your website. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katrak says he was framed. Difficult to believe. Gosavi you should have checked out his claim instead of just reporting. Otherwise a very good interveiw. Keep up the good show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes cooji was framed. everyone knows it. this year his becoming champ is actaully poetic justice if you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete
  10. The interview gives authentic peek into the mind of the champion trainer. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katrak sir says he was framed.SO can we say his championship also framed??

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gosavi, this is my real comment pl delete the first one.
    Why are you trying to glorify Katrak and NOT writing a word about the champion breeder Cyrus Poonwalla? Project decent people only then racing will get more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mr Gosavi, have been following ur articles for as long as i can remember and find u to be very articulate and one of the top journalists in the country on racing. Sharan Kumar from Bangalore was good too but of late has not been the same. This blog is a refreshing experience and I, for one am sure that the above interview is bland and nothing extraordinary. it was plain ordinary at best. This is not to criticise your effort, but had u got out interesting facts about Oasis Sar's future and past it would have been interesting. Also what he did during his time off the racecourse would have proved an intersting insight. It is unlike you to have missed these points. Riyasat's Oaks too could have been included. If you can get him to talk on this even now, it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Prakash this is one of the most well presented interview, Katrak deserves the praise
    your interview is like a breath of fresh air especially now when a fellow scribe is under minute scrutiny with the Malesh Cole article.
    Prakash may your blog prosper and please put up more wonderful articles , interviews of more racing personalities,ie Cyrus,Appoo,vIVEK;jMody etc,preferably not KND

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr Prakash,I have noticed a quirk in your character .You get peeved easily If somebody taunts you the other way and immediately come up with an explanation of exculpation.There are many who will hunt you with a fine-toothed comb,and accuse you of tickling people pink(specially professionals connected to racing). So all you need is to remain nonchalant in certain cases.

    ReplyDelete
  17. my pseudonym is chankya and perhaps you know it,because, unfortunately, we met- officially undersome tragic circumstances .
    I didn't want to start on a negative note and therefore,used this thread to say something.
    I admire , but do not like, Katrak's methods to achieve what he wants.I also accept , though may not approve,whatever means he uses to acieve his aim and fully endorse the view (may not be his) that end result is what counts...
    a piece of advice , not to him; but to you...

    It is better to walk alone in your quest to achieve your goal rather than bogged down by the load of paraphernalia which slows you down and offers false assuarance...
    false praise used to push me up to sventh heaven, today it does not move me an inch...
    a thoughtful sentence does affect my peace of mind...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Chanakya, yes I remember the time we met under the tragic circumstances. Hope everything is fine with you.

    By the way I am afraid I do not fully understand what you mean either about Katrak's methods or advice given to me.

    A little more clarity will surely take your message home.

    Prakash Gosavi

    ReplyDelete
  19. well Mr.Gosavi,
    I admire and have a bit more respect for Katrak for his achivements-irrespective of the methods used by him to win. I'll not eloborate but will 'guide' you to a racing magzine article, edited by you, giving names of almost 15 trainers whose wards were found posive for prohibited drugs- many prominent trainers were named.
    Katrak was not one of them - but wasbanished for a similar offence.forget about KND( not Dunjibhoy but Knight N' Day)controversy .

    just a corrallary- Dutrow Jr.'s ward in US won Kentucky and Preakness but ended almost last in Belmont-last year and he -Dutrow Jr has admitted that he withdrew 'the drug'a month before the race was run to conform to the rules! The horse(fav) lost the race!

    Now-a-days,during last 2 yrs not a single case is reported or highlighted by our worthy media journalists.Why should I blame them - they want to live in peace and help others to do the same...

    Advice to you - what can I give?
    many posters, fake or anonymous or real have posted their opinions - good,indifferent or bad. Don't let them take over - like they did a site called Turf Parrot which died a natural and painful death because in the end it either had a stupid flattery or a bitching remark which became stale over a period...
    a clean, fearless,impartial,truthful-may be critical but logical response of your readers will enhance the value of your opinion and make the blog unique - which perhaps you are trying to do...
    my good wishes are with you - but not with your phoney admirers...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Coojie has always been an enigma for race-goers, who would love to believe sinister stuff about this trainer. As is usual with enigmas, he is really not at all like what he is made out to be, and as usual with enigmas, he is damned if he does & doubly damned if he doesnt. He just cant win with the racing public.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now here is one comment I have to applaud! Well said Empee. I am in 100% agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are enough owners and detractors of Cooji's who can give you at least hundred instances where horses have lost under 'not so transparent' conditions. Of all things in his career, favourites losing consistently has been his only consistency ....

    ReplyDelete

Wish to post as "Anonymous"? Not a problem.
But a better way is to use the Name/URL option and take up some net name of your choice. That way your privacy is protected and other readers can associate your thoughts with your web personality. Think about it.
A sincere appeal by Prakash Gosavi, blog owner